Wednesday, March 12, 2008

My poor, poor Man - The End

Title: My poor, poor man - The end
Author: Tarabeth
Characters: Chris, Verge, Syd, TJ and Claire

*** *** *** *** ***


I put my hand out to Syd as she found the key to the bathroom door. I inserted the key and opened the door to find my sweet husband holding the plunger in one hand and a toilet brush in the other, he looked exhausted and a bit green, but ready to fight to the bitter end.

I put my arms out, “Come here, babe.”

Verge put his weapons down and stepped into my embrace, “Thank god you’re home.”

“Rough morning,” I said.

Verge nodded into my shoulder.

“What’s going on, honey?” I asked.

Verge stepped out of the hug and pointed an accusatory finger at Syd, “She was going to give me a coffee enema!”

“No, she wasn’t,” I said.

“No, I wasn’t,” she said.

“You were,” Verge said. This time pointing to the kitchen, he said, “Don’t deny it, I saw you making all those gallons of coffee.”

Syd and I looked at each other. She mouthed the word, “gallons,” and I shook my head in exasperation.

I took hold of Verge’s hand and lead him over to the doorway, “Look,” I said.

Virgil gulped. “You have guests?” He asked Syd.

She nodded, “Yes, TJ is dropping her mother off, so that Claire and Mrs. Landis and I can make engagement party arrangements.”

“Oh,” Verge said. “I think I made a big mistake.” Verge turned to Syd, “I am so, so, so sorry.”

Syd pulled Verge into a hug, “I know, honey, you were sick and scared, but next time, talk to me about it, okay?”

“I promise,” Verge replied.

“Christopher, I think you need to get your husband back to bed,” Syd told me.

I started to usher Virgil towards our bed.

“No, Chris, wait,” Verge said pulling me into the lounge. “Mrs. Landis, TJ, Claire, I am so very sorry for my offensive behavior and language.”

Mrs. Landis was the first to speak, “Oh, Virgil, you poor, poor man. Claire has informed us of your illness. I just hope you have a quick recovery and are feeling more yourself soon.”

“Well ladies shall we adjourn upstairs?” Syd asked. Clair took hold of the coffeecake and Syd and TJ took the coffee carafes and off the woman went.

“Come on, honey. I want to get you back into bed,” I lead Verge back into the bedroom. I removed his robe, sat down on the bed and helped him to climb in and rest against me. “You feel warm,” I said. “I want to take your temperature.”

Virgil groaned and began to turn himself over on my lap.

I stopped him, “Honey, I think you made your opinion of having your temperature taken rectally abundantly clear. I’m going to use the oral thermometer.”

“Thank you,” he said. “I’m really sorry.”

I kissed his forehead, “I know, and I’m going with the belief that this little incident was a bad case of delirium.”

“I’m not in trouble?” He asked.

“If you weren’t delirious, you are in a lot of trouble,” I told him.

“Oh, it was definitely delirium,” he said.

He opened his mouth and I placed the thermometer under his tongue.

“Alright then, but for the record, any similar cases of delirium in the future will be treated with my hand applied in large doses to your bare bottom. Got it?” I told him.

He nodded.

The thermometer beeped and I removed it from his mouth, “Just a little over 100°.”

Virgil curled into me and closed his eyes, “Thank you for taking care of me; I love you.”

I kissed his forehead, “I love you too.”

The End.

*** *** *** *** *** ***

Copyright TBL 2008