Friday, February 29, 2008

My poor, poor man Parts 3 and 4

Title: My poor, poor man Parts 3 and 4
Author: Tarabeth
Pairing: Chris/Verge

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***

**Verge**


Between being uncomfortable, too hot or too cold, and the strange nightmarish dreams that accompany illness (mine involved Big Bird speaking about world peace at the United Nations), I struggled with sleep most of the night. I think I finally settled into a fitful sleep as the sun was rising around five in the morning.

When I finally woke the clock read 10:30 and I could smell coffee brewing. It didn’t have its normal wonderful enticing smell, but at least it didn’t make me vomit.

I got out of bed, pulled on my robe, slid on my slippers and hobbled into the kitchen in search of Chris.

I arrived at the kitchen to find Syd fumbling with the coffee maker.

“Oh…good morning,” I said. “I thought you were Chris. Do you know where he is?”

“Good morning, Honey, how are you feeling?” She asked as she continued to fuss with the coffee maker.

“Still icky. Is Chris out having a soak in the hot tub?” I asked. I was growing more and more nervous as I wondered where Chris was and watched Syd make what seemed like a huge amount of coffee.

“No, Honey. He had to present at the Board of Supervisor’s meeting this morning. He should be home in a couple of hours. He asked me to take care of you while he was gone. ”

And with that my heart sank, I was doomed. I slowly started my retreat to the bedroom, and safety behind a locked door.

How could he, he had promised.

*** *** *** *** *** ***

**Chris**


I handed Verge his popsicle, “Do you want to get up, watch some TV?”

Verge nodded.

“I Tivo’d House and Dirty Jobs for you. ”

“House and Dirty Jobs? You are too good to me, forget the lesbian, I’m keeping you, ” Verge said with a smile and a slightly obscene gesture to his popsicle.

I took hold of his hand and we walked into the lounge and settled on the sofa to watch Dirty Jobs. Virgil fell asleep just as Mike Rowe was making his weekly appeal for people to write in with their dirty jobs.

He was sleeping comfortably and I decided a couple hours of TV and him cuddled up next to me would be nice.

I flipped the channel over to MTV to watch Real World/Road Rules Challenge: The Gauntlet III. Beth had Coral pinned down in the sand when Syd came in and sat in the big comfy chair.

“You needed to see me?” She asked.

Ooo, Beth just might pull this off.

“Christopher, pay attention to me when I talk to you,” Syd said in a tone reminiscent of my teen years.

“Yes, ma’am,” I responded as I paused the TV. Thank god for Tivo.

She smiled and shook her head. I know she would have preferred I turned the TV off, but hey, I am an adult now.

“Ummm…ya, I have to present the yearly health status report at the Board of Supervisor’s meeting tomorrow morning, and I was hoping you could come down here and sit with Verge in case he needs anything,” I asked. “Oh, and no enemas,” I added. “He sees no medical purpose to them, and you scare him when you get all holistic with your enema bag.”

She laughed, “Good Lord, I gave the man an enema once, ten years ago, you would think he would realize I’m not going to give him one at this point.”

My wedding ring suddenly became very interesting, “Well…umm…I think since none of the rest of us ever seem to be able to avoid it…” I trailed off.

“Christopher, you have always benefited from a good coffee enema,” she started to lecture.

Verge turned over slightly and I pulled the blanket up over his shoulder. “Umm,” I said, quickly changing the subject, “do you have time to sit with him in the morning? I need to leave around 8:30 and I should be home by noon at the latest.”

“That shouldn’t be a problem. Claire is coming by and TJ is dropping off her mother for coffee so we can plan the engagement party. If you don’t mind our meeting down here, it should be fine,” she said.

“No that would be great. Anyways, I bet he will sleep the whole time,” I told her.

Syd got up and kissed each Verge and I on the forehead, “I will see you about 8:15. Love you kiddo.”

“Thanks, I love you too. And no enemas,” I called after her.

She smiled, “No enemas, I promise, besides I will be busy party planning. Sleep well.”

I pressed play and watched the end of The Gauntlet. Thank god Ryan won, they shouldn’t count the gay boys out so quickly!

When the show was over, I gently nudged Verge, “Time for bed, handsome.”

“‘Kay,” he responded.

“Verge, Babe, I have that big presentation to the Board in the morning. Syd said she would come sit with you in case you need anything,” I informed him.

“Big brd,” he mumbled.

“I made her promise no enemas, so you don’t need to worry.”

“No enms,” he mumbled as I helped him under the covers.

*** *** *** *** *** *** ***

Copyright TBL 2008