Friday, February 22, 2008

My poor, poor man Part 2

Title: My poor, poor man Part 2
Author: Tarabeth
Pairing: Chris/Verge
Warnings: Rectal Thermometer and Suppositories


**Chris**

I had the fan blowing to keep Verge cool. He remained naked lying on only the fitted sheet while he slept next to me. He had been asleep for a couple of hours when he began shiver, so I pulled one of our summer blankets over him and he calmed for a short while.

Eventually he was just too uncomfortable by his growing fever and awoke. “I’m really cold,” he whispered to me.

“I think your fever is rising babe,” I said as I smoothed my hand over his forehead.

“Will you get me some acetaminophen and water?” he asked.

“Are you sure you’re okay to take it orally?” I questioned.

He scrunched his face in disgust at my question and then nodded in the affirmative.

I got up to get him pajamas and fetch his meds; I moved the fan to the other side of the room and turned it down slightly.

I returned to the bed and helped him to sit up so he could take the Tylenol and then slipped a t-shirt over his head.

Verge reached out for his boxers.

“Not so quick babe, I want to check your temperature,” I told him.

He groaned, but turned on his side to give me the access I needed for a rectal temperature.

“Thank you, honey,” I said as I gently rubbed his hip with one hand while I lubed the thermometer with the other. 

His temperature was up a bit, a little over 102, but still not dangerous. I helped him into his boxers and pulled the blanket back over him.

Verge let out a soft sigh and curled into me, “Will you rub my forehead like you did before?”

I began to gently stroke my hand over his forehead and continued until I heard his breathing change slightly and was sure he had gone back to sleep.

*** *** *** *** *** ***

Verge woke again in the early evening, leaned over the bed and vomited into the wastebasket.

I brought him a glass of water to rinse his mouth and a cool washcloth.

“Thank you,” he said.

I took the basket and rinsed it out in the shower.

“I need another suppository,” his voice was sad and pitiful, and it broke my heart.

He hid his head under his pillow, when I sat down beside him. I smiled, because this small dramatic gesture told me he must feel slightly better than he did a few hours earlier. I took down his boxers, administered his medicine and took his temperature.

When I was finished I pulled his boxers back up and said, “Are you thirsty. Katie made you some Gatorade popsicles,” I informed him.

His head popped out from under the pillow and he gave a little grin, “Popsicles, what kind?”

“Punch and grape,” I answered with a smile. “Katie was up stairs visiting Syd and came to say hello. When she discovered you were sick she made a shopping trip to stock on up on liquids, with the hope of enticing you to take in fluids. She made you the popsicles. She also bought some broth and Jell-O, and made a nice fresh pitcher of ginger sun tea.”

“I think I might have to marry her, ” Verge said with a teasing grin.

I put my hand over my heart and gave him a look of mock heartbreak.

His mood suddenly changed and he again hid under his pillow. “Syd knows I’m sick?” He squeakily questioned.

“Yes, but despite the fact that you would drop me in an instant for a popsicle making lesbian, I will protect you, ” I told him.

“Promise?” He asked.

“Promise,” I responded with a kiss to his forehead. “Can I bring you a popsicle?”

His head again peaked out from under the pillow, “Grape, please. ”


*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***

Copyright TBL 2008